For Blockheads Design Team the month of May is all about vintage. It's right in my wheelhouse, because I love old stuff. I always have. As a kid, my siblings had cousins their age, so I was the pesky kid sister on the outskirts of all the "fun." It didn't bother me much; I would just go hang out with the old folks. I loved hearing their stories, and it's probably one of the things that pushed me into writing.
Anyway. Vintage. Right. I do a lot of vintage-y looking stuff and often I'm asked how I accomplish making something look old or aged. I'll let you in on a tip that is so easy that... well... you'll think you just fell off the proverbial log. Here it is: Use ivory paper for your project rather than white. That lends itself to an instant aged feel for your project.
I've posted a couple of samples below with the two images I used in these cards, both on white cardstock and on ivory cardstock. See what I mean?
The card above was pretty simple and straightforward to do. I used Blockheads ATC-Years Ago stamp set. First I stamped the image of the woman using StazOn Jet Black ink. Then I stamped it again on a piece of scrap paper and cut out a mask. I placed the mask over the image on my cardstock and then stamped the background writing using Milled Lavender Distress Ink. I colored parts of her face and the flower using a Blender Pen and Distress Ink in various colors. Then I sponged a little more Milled Lavender Distress Ink around the edges just to pull it together.
For the background paper, I used matte black cardstock. I stamped just the corners of it using a stamp from Blockheads Grunge It Up! set and Pearlescent Beige Brilliance Ink which gave it just the little bit of shimmer that I wanted. That's all there was to it.
However! For the next card, I abused it in so many ways that I can hardly remember what all I did to it! I guess there's a reason they call the process "distressing", huh? I wanted this one to have an aged Italian tile look to it, so I knew it was going to take a few steps to get it where I wanted it.
I took my Distress Ink embossing pad and tapped it all over the paper, but not to heavily. I wanted to leave some areas where the powder wouldn't stick. Then I coated it with clear embossing powder and hit it with my heat gun. Once it had cooled, I sponged Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the sides to darken some of the pits left behind where the embossing powder didn't completely coat it.
After that, I used Tarnished Brass Distress Stain on the outer edges. It stayed wet long enough that I could use my finger to rub it into the pits and get it close to the image. Sure, I could have used a sponge, but I find it easier to just use my finger - more control, and besides, I like to get messy. I did manage to smear a little bit onto the flower, but since the metallic Distress Stains are acrylic, I only had to use a damp paper towel to wipe away any excess.
Between the embossing and the shimmery quality of the Distress Stain, the whole piece took on the glazed, old tile look I was after.
With that, once it dried (which didn't take long) I was finally done. I'm very pleased with the way this turned out. Well, I am, except that now I want a great big old (Vintage!) Italian kitchen to cook in.
See you next week, and happy crafting!