Stamp set used: Blockheads Winter Wonderland
This week I'm participating in the Blockheads Challenge as hosted by my Design Team friend Leigh. I won't go into a lot of detail because Leigh covers it very well in the techniques she posts. Also, I've talked about it a little bit before on this blog as well (here).
For the card above I began with teal cardstock. I swiped over the bottom half of the cardstock with a sponge dipped in Peeled Paint Distress Ink. In a swirling motion I swiped over the top half of the cardstock with Dusty Concord Distress Ink.
Then I stamped the trees multiple times using a white craft ink, which I then embossed using Polysparkle embossing powder. It's hard to tell from the scan, but this gives the trees the sparkly look of real snow.
Once done with that, I stamped the deer using my Tsukineko Glue Pad and layered some copper leaf on top of that. I set it aside to let it dry for about five minutes - this is essential if you are using the glue pad to adhere metal leaf. If you try to brush off the excess before it dries, you'll end up with a smeary, funky mess. So, once it dried, I simply used a paint brush and lifted off the un-stuck copper.
Stamp Set Used: Artistic Outpost - Old Grist Mill
The example above started out like so much of my cards and art work does, with, "Hmm... I wonder what would happen if..."
Using a larger piece than I knew I would need, I started with black cardstock and stamped the covered bridge onto it, again using Tsukineko Glue Pad. Then I dropped Fashion Flakes all over the image. I love working with Fashion Flakes. They're bags of different colored leafing that make for some lovely, variegated metal work. Once again, I set it aside to let the glue dry and then brushed off the excess.
Do NOT throw away the excess when you are working with leafing! It can be stored and reused!
After I brushed off the excess, I stamped over the image again using Jet Black StazOn. This gave it just enough oomph to really make the image pop. Then I used a white pen and scribbled in the roof line and the road.
Once all that was done, I trimmed the image down to its actual size.
I have to say, I really love the way it turned out and when I first started I kind of thought, "Well, that may have been a mistake." Another lesson in not giving up right away when your art isn't doing quite what you want it to. Just keep trying different ideas and techniques. I promise, you'll surprise yourself more often than not!